Welcome to Huff ‘N Puff’s “5 Star Guide: The Gutter Protection System Series”
Welcome to Huff ‘N Puff’s “5 Star Guide to Home Improvement: The Gutter Protection System Series.” Murphy the Wolf (as in Murphy’s Law: anything that can go wrong, will go wrong) knows the damage that can be caused by clogged gutters, and hopes you will ignore them! As with our other informative guides, Huff ‘N Puff wants to share valuable tips to improve gutter performance and keep Murphy away.
Very few homeowners look forward to climbing a ladder to clean out their gutters. In fact, gutter cleaning is one of the home maintenance tasks most often ignored or overlooked, and that’s just how Murphy likes it. Gutters that are not properly maintained mean bad news for your home because they cannot perform their intended function: to channel water off your roof and safely away from the foundation. Gutter problems also spell trouble for these other parts of your home.
- Fascia & soffit. Without proper care, clogged gutters allow water to overflow and come in contact with fascia, soffit and other components typically built of wood, causing weakness and rot over time.
- Siding. Water that runs down or splashes onto wood siding can cause warping and mold growth.
- Basement. Gutters that allow water to collect around the foundation of your home may result in basement problems, including water infiltration, dampness, mold and mildew, and erosion of the surrounding grade. In the worst cases, water pressure can crack the foundation.
- Landscaping. Excessive water can damage sidewalks and driveways, erode soil, and ruin flower beds, trees and shrubbery surrounding the base of your home.
- Pest problems. Clogged gutters with standing water are one of the best breeding grounds for mosquitoes and other disease-spreading pests.
Looking for a solution to the dangers caused by clogged gutters and the hassle of cleaning gutters every year? Check back soon for a blog that will cover how you can make gutter cleaning a thing of the past by installing Gutter Helmet®, the world’s #1 gutter protection system.
For more information about gutters, gutter protection or to request a quote, contact Huff ‘N Puff today. We’re proud to have served more than 35,000 homeowners in Schenectady, Albany, Clifton Park, Troy and many other communities in the Capital Region and Hudson Valley.